Things I Didn't Know I Loved*

* If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in! Come in!

(Shel Silverstein)

August 04, 2006

 

The Waking


Sleep is my drug of choice.


The Waking

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

Theodore Roethke

Comments:
I already knew I loved this one.
 
Hmm, how so? Did I show you this one before? Don't remember..
 
yeah i have liked it too...
 
Yeah, it's one that I... think is alright... and that makes sense for a change!
 
The poem makes sense for a change, or you're making sense for a change? :) Nice eyebrows, HV.
 
Both, I guess.

I don't understand poems with mutli-syllabic words. I like things along the lines of:

"Jim who ran away from his nurse and was eaten by a lion".

That's a good solid poem that everyone should know.


So you think I shouldn't get them plucked?

PS WHAT's WITH the HV?!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   August 2006   September 2006   March 2007   April 2007   December 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?